I am a Nanna to 4 beautiful grandchildren (soon to be 5 in September) so this is a topic near and dear to my heart. How wonderful to have a choice of natural products to use on your baby. I am including a link to the dōTERRA page for your review.
There are recipies for three items to use at home and in your diaper bag for your baby or grandbaby.
- Diaper Cream – This recipe is free from petroleum and artificial ingredients that can further irritate skin. –
- Talc Free Baby Powder – Your baby’s skin is delicate and very sensitive to chemicals that could be irritating. This safe and effective talc-free baby powder will make your baby’s skin soft, dry, and smooth.
- Homemade Baby Wipes – Commercial wipes are made with ingredients that can irritate a baby’s delicate skin. This easy recipe is great on the go, just place wipes in a wet bag
Homemade Diaper Cream:
What You Need:
- 1/2 ounce bees wax
- 3 1/2 ounce Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 2 drops each: doTERRA’s Melaleuca Essential Oil and Lavender Essential Oil
- (1) 4 ounce glass jar – (Tip: Use a Baby Food Jar!)
- Spoon or stick for stirring ( I found that a popsicle or craft stick is best)
- Put the beeswax into the glass jar and place in the top portion of a double boiler. Gently melt it over simmering water, stirring until smooth.
- Slowly add the Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Remove from heat and add essential oil. Stir, then let cool.
- Label your cream and done!
- Tip: If it’s too firm, reheat and add more fractionated coconut oil.
Talc Free Baby Powder
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot powder
- 1 drop Roman Chamomile essential oil
- 1-2 drops Lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup finely ground oats
Note: You can find Arrowroot powder at most health food stores.
- Mix well and put in a shaker style bottle.
- Tip: Use an empty spice jar with a sifter lid.
- If you don’t have finely ground oats, combine ingredients in a blender and pulse until finely ground. –
HOME MADE BABY WIPES
What You Need:
- 1 roll premium paper towels
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 3 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- An airtight storage container/empty wipe container/wet bag
Note: Use cloth for reusable wipes.
- Cut paper towel roll in half with a serrated or electric knife. Use half the roll now, and half later.
- Combine water, Fractionated Coconut Oil, and essential oils in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the paper towels and then cover with the airtight lid letting the mixture absorb for 10 minutes.
- Turn the container over and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the cardboard middle. Just pull the wipes from the center when you are ready to use. Store in container of your choice.
dōTERRA recommends the following essential oils for babies
Respiratory Blend—Apply alone or with a carrier oil onto the chest to open airways
Basil—Gently apply on the ear with a cotton ball, avoiding the ear canal, to help relieve earaches.
Digestive Blend—Massage clockwise onto an upset tummy or rub on the bottoms of feet.
Roman Chamomile—Soothes irritated skin Lavender—Calming, relaxing, and soothes irritated skin
Melaleuca—Soothes irritated skin and has strong anti-fungal properties. –
Here is the pdf for this information. The link has information about what to do when having a dōTERRA themed baby shower. But, it has lots of information. I can see just such a shower in my son and daughter-in-law’s future. 😉
I will be posting more about babies and children in the future. But, I thought this was a great start.
Enjoy Your Day!
Essentially Nanna (Barbara)